Kaffarah (expiation) becomes on two occasions…
1. Breaking of your Ramadan Fast by having an intercourse with your wife
Allah have made it permissible for men and women to have intercourse with their husbands and wives. However the same intercourse becomes impermissible during the days of Ramadan. If one takes part in intercourse with their husband/wife during the day, then the punishment is very severe.
They should repent sincerely and make a promise never to repeat this act again.
They will have to do one of the following
- Free a slave
- Fast for two consecutive months
- Must feed sixty poor people (it costs £2 to feed one person, therefore, to feed 60 people for one day will cost £120)
It doesn’t matter whether the ejaculation happened during intercourse, as long as their private parts met then the Kaffarah is upon both.
2. Breaking of an oath (Kafaarat Yameen)
Oath is only permissible if it has been taken with Allah’s name. Taking oath with other than Allah is not permissible.
“Allah will not punish you for what is unintentional in your oaths, but He will punish you for your deliberate oaths; for its expiation (a deliberate oath) feed ten Masaakeen (poor persons), on a scale of the average of that with which you feed your own families, or clothe them or manumit a slave. But whosoever cannot afford (that), then he should fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths when you have sworn. And protect your oaths (i.e. do not swear much). Thus Allah makes clear to you His Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.) that you may be grateful.” [al-Maa’idah 5:89]
If someone has taken an oath and knew that it is not true then he/she will have to do one of the following three:
- Feeding 10 poor and needy with the same food he/she feed their own family
- Clothing 10 poor and needy people
- Freeing a believing slave
We ask Allah to save us from these situations and give us tawfeeq of fulfilling His commands.